Friday 22 June 2012

Stonehenge On Tour?

 

Stonehenge - Acrylics On Large Boxed Canvas.

Every Year when I was younger we would wake up early and walk across the fields to watch the sun rise over Stonehenge
sometimes we would sit on horse back on the brow and look across the chalk downs to the stones, watching the hippies and druids chant / dance between the stones, like native Americans on the prairies edge just observing quietly.
Other times we would go join them in our over sized woolie jumpers and flip flops
I have always had a bonding with the stones and enjoyed the times I was able to sneak in with a book and nestle between the stone, enjoying the immense magical energy they radiate.
The last time I stood between the stones was about 14 years ago I gain special permission from English heritage to photograph the stones as part of my course but it was winter and although we had a sharp frost the mist soon
descended and the photo quality was poor, especially in black and white.
Since moving to Wales I haven't been able to do my annual solstice pilgrimage

So this Summer solstice I was delighted to read that the stones hitching their skirts up and coming to me!




Stonehenge is going on tour and its first stop is the National Botanic Garden of Wales on Thursday (June 21).
‘Sacrilege’ is a life-size inflatable replica of Stonehenge, created by Turner Prize-winning artist Jeremy Deller and is part of the Cultural Olympiad.
The once-in-a-lifetime experience of having an Olympic bounce on a replica of the world’s most famous standing stones
The 100ft ‘bouncy castle’ The Garden is the only Welsh stop on the 26-date ‘Sacrilege’ UK tour in the run-up to the Olympics
 
Here are some other photos I took at the National Botanic Garden of Wales






 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment